Birthmark Removal in Lima, OH
Birthmarks come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors. Some are small and unnoticeable. Others are large, unsightly and very conspicuous. Many patients come to the Vein Care Center embarrassed by birthmarks on their face, neck, arms or hands. Fortunately, our cutting-edge technology can remove or reduce them in a safe and effective manner. If you reside in Lima, Celina or the communities surrounding Auglaize County, OH, contact us today to schedule an appointment.
What Are Birthmarks?
Birthmarks are skin blemishes that are present at birth or appear shortly after birth. Although there are many types of birthmarks, only those that are close to the skin’s surface can be effectively treated with laser therapy. These are typically “port wine stains.” These birthmarks are typically red, pink or purple and may be rough or lumpy in texture. Port-wine stains are most common on the face but can appear anywhere on the body, particularly on the upper part of the trunk and the neck.
What Causes Birthmarks?
Port wine stains are a malformation of the capillaries beneath the skin’s surface. New research has pinpointed the cause to a single random change to a particular gene after conception. Although port wine stains are harmless, they can be a source of embarrassment and shame for some patients.
How Is Birthmark Removal Performed?
At the Vein Care Center, we use a Cutera® Laser to lighten and improve the appearance of birthmarks. This laser features a unique design and long wavelength that allows us to treat patients with all skin tones and types. The pen-like handpiece delivers pulses of light energy, which can cause a slight stinging sensation during treatment. A cooling gel is used to help alleviate discomfort, if needed. During treatment, you will be asked to wear goggles to protect your eyes from the intense beam of laser light. You may resume normal activities immediately, as this is a simple in-and-out procedure
How Should I Prepare for Birthmark Removal Treatment?
Dr. Aggarwal will go over pre-treatment directions with you prior to your birthmark removal procedure. It’s important to stick to the following guidelines to ensure the optimal results:
- Do not wear makeup on your treatment day
- Avoid tanning and self-tanning products for four weeks prior to your treatment.
- Inform Dr. Aggarwal of any medications or supplements you currently take, as some may increase the risk of bruising.
- Avoid treatments that may irritate the skin for one to two weeks before treatment (waxing, depilatories, etc.).
- If you have a history of herpes or cold sores, you may be required to take an antiviral prescription prior to treatment.
What Can I Expect After Birthmark Removal Treatment?
You can expect an improvement in the discoloration and texture of the treated area, which, in turn, will boost your self-confidence. Although we’ll go over post-treatment directions with you at the office, it’s helpful to know what to expect after your treatment:
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen to prevent further sun damage.
- Bruising, redness, and swelling are common and resolve with time.
- A “bug bite” look is common and usually resolves within a day or two.
- Treated pigment will turn darker (brown to black) within 24-48 hours. Do not pick at treated areas. Treated pigment will exfoliate off the face in approximately one week; treated pigment will exfoliate off the body in approximately two to three weeks.
- Avoid excessive heat, such as hot tubs, saunas, etc., for two days.
- Avoid skin irritants in the days following your procedure. These include products containing tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids and astringents.
- Notify the office of any concerns, such as blistering, excessive redness or swelling.
- Consult with the Vein Care Center about when to resume your normal skin care regimen.
Birthmark removal is considered a restorative service. What does that mean? It means you can have the vibrant, youthful, healthy skin you once had. Our highly advanced, noninvasive therapies can make unwanted marks and scars disappear with ease. Let us revitalize your appearance and give your skin a fresh start. Contact us today. It’s the first step in unveiling the new you!