Varicose Vein Treatment in Lima, OH
Varicose veins are a common and often embarrassing condition, affecting approximately half the people over the age of 50. They not only affect your appearance, but they can also lead to more serious complications if left untreated. Dr. Manu B. Aggarwal, MHSA, MD, a board-certified and aesthetic-laser-certified family physician, has years of experience treating varicose veins and other vein diseases at the Vein Care Center, serving patients in Lima, Celina and the areas surrounding Auglaize County, OH. Contact us today to see how we can help you.
What Are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are thick, ropey, bulging veins that are caused by underlying weakened or damaged valves. They most often appear on the backs of the calves, the thighs or the inside of the leg. They can also form in the groin area or buttocks during pregnancy. In healthy veins, the valves act as flaps that prevent blood from flowing backward as it makes its way back to your heart. When these valves stop functioning normally, the blood can pool and collect, causing the veins to become enlarged.
What Are the Risk Factors for Varicose Veins?
Approximately half the people who have varicose veins have family members who also have them. While family history is the most significant risk factor for developing varicose veins, there are several other factors that can increase the likelihood that you will develop them:
- Age – The valves in your veins may naturally weaken as you get older.
- Hormones – The fluctuations in hormones that occur during puberty, pregnancy and menopause can contribute to the formation of varicose veins. Birth control pills can also contribute to their development.
- Pregnancy – The increased blood volume associated with pregnancy can cause veins to enlarge. A woman’s growing uterus can also put pressure on veins, causing varicosities.
- Obesity – There is increased pressure put on a person’s veins if he or she is overweight or obese.
- Sedentary lifestyle – Sitting or standing for long periods of time can make it harder for your veins to pump blood to your heart.
What Are the Signs of Varicose Veins?
If you have varicose veins, you’ve probably noticed them on the surface of your skin. There are other symptoms of varicose veins, including:
- Aching or pain
- A feeling of fullness/heaviness in the legs
- An itchy or irritated rash
- Discoloration of the skin
- Restless legs
Do Varicose Veins Pose a Risk to My Health?
For some people, varicose veins are little more than a cosmetic issue. Others experience pain and discomfort that interferes with their daily activities. Still, for some patients, varicose veins can lead to more serious complications. These include:
- Sores or ulcers on the skin – If blood is allowed to pool for a long period of time, sores or ulcers may form. Sometimes, these sores will not heal until after vein treatment.
- Bleeding – Skin over a varicose vein often thins and becomes more susceptible to injury. Bleeding can be significant when an injury occurs.
- Superficial thrombophlebitis – This is a blood clot that forms just below the skin’s surface; they can cause tenderness, swelling, pain and a feeling of warmth in the vein.
- Deep vein thrombosis – This type of blood clot forms in a deeper vein and cause pain, redness and swelling. If the blood clot breaks free and travels to the lungs, it could be fatal.
At the Vein Care Center, we use ultrasound to determine whether or not there is an underlying condition present. Our accredited facility uses only registered ultrasonographers to map your veins using ultrasound.
What Varicose Treatments Are Offered at the Vein Care Center?
The Vein Care Center offers a number of cutting-edge treatments for patients with varicose veins:
We also offer products and guidance to help patients prolong varicose veins from reoccurring:
Visit the Vein Care Center in Lima, OH, and make varicose veins a thing of the past. If you’re in Lima, Celina, or the communities surrounding Auglaize County, contact us today to see how we can help you banish varicose veins for good. Dr. Manu B. Aggarwal, MHSA, MD, a board-certified and aesthetic-laser-certified family physician with expertise in treating varicose veins, and the rest of the staff at the Vein Care Center looks forward to meeting you!