Varicose Veins in Lima, OH
In the U.S., roughly half of all adults age 50 and older suffer from varicose veins. Varicose veins are large, swollen veins that appear on the surface of your legs. These veins are more than a cosmetic concern. Varicose veins often cause great discomfort, including pain, itching, aching, and cramping in the legs. Dr. Manu B. Aggarwal, MHSA, MD, a board-certified and aesthetic-laser-certified family physician, offers treatments for these painful and unsightly veins to the residents of Lima, Celina and the areas surrounding Auglaize County, OH at the Vein Care Center.
What Are Varicose Veins?
In a way, varicose veins are more extreme cousins of spider veins. These swollen, twisting cords look red, blue, or flesh-colored, and they often cause pain and discomfort, especially after sitting or standing still for a while. In some cases, they may even cause a burning, tingling, or throbbing sensation in the legs. Generally, women are more susceptible to varicose veins than men.
Health Complaints Associated with Varicose Veins
Varicose veins can result in a number of health complaints, namely:
- Leg pain
- Heaviness and tiredness in the legs
Factors that Contribute to the Development of Varicose Veins
In addition to the above symptoms, patients often complain about throbbing, itching, burning, or cramping. Approximately 30 million people in the U.S. suffer from varicose veins, with the majority of people over 50 years old. In addition to the aging process, other factors that contribute to the formation of varicose veins include the following:
- Lack of exercise
- Standing for long durations
- Hormonal changes, such as those that occur during pregnancy or menopause
- Taking birth control pills or medications that contain estrogen or progesterone
Serious Health Issues can Result from Venous Insufficiency
While some people with varicose veins do not complain about discomfort, the veins can result in some serious health issues, including the following conditions:
- Varicose veins can cause sores or ulcers to form on the legs or ankles, which can be difficult to heal over time.
- The veins can also result in the development of superficial thrombophlebitis. The blood clot, which forms within a vein just beneath the skin’s surface, is denoted by such symptoms as vein tenderness, swelling, pain, or redness at the site.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) can also present itself. Also a blood clot, DVT forms in a vein farther below the skin’s surface and is marked by symptoms similar to those of superficial thrombophlebitis. Any pain or tightness is normally located in the area of the calf. This condition, which can result in a pulmonary embolism, can be fatal if it is not treated.
Make an Appointment for a Consultation
Consult with Dr. Aggarwal about varicose vein treatment if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- The skin has changed color or has become thick or compact on the calf or ankle.
- A varicose vein is bleeding.
- Aches, pain, and throbbing disrupt your normal, daily routine.
- A vein has become tender to the touch or is red or swollen.
- You have developed a rash or ulcers on your ankles or legs.
- You are distressed and concerned about the appearance of your legs.
What Happens During an Examination?
Even if you experience only a mild ache in your legs, you should schedule a consultation. Dr. Aggarwal will determine the anatomy of your veins and assess the blood flow, as well as check for clots. A test called a venogram may be used to determine vein circulation, and ultrasound is frequently employed to look at the structures of veins and monitor the flow of blood.
How Can I Prevent Varicose Veins?
While you may not be able to avoid varicose veins completely, especially if you have a medical history of the condition, you should rest your legs frequently when you are required to stand for long periods of time. Physical activity, including regular exercise, helps your body circulate your blood efficiently.
What Varicose Treatments Are Offered at the Vein Care Center?
The Vein Care Center offers a number of cutting-edge treatments for patients with varicose veins:
We also offer products and guidance to help patients prevent varicose veins from reoccurring:
Visit the Vein Care Center in Lima, OH, and make varicose veins a thing of the past. If you’re in Lima, Celina, or the communities surrounding Auglaize County, contact us today to see how we can help you banish varicose veins for good. Dr. Manu B. Aggarwal, MHSA, MD, a board-certified and aesthetic-laser-certified family physician with expertise in treating varicose veins, and the rest of the staff at the Vein Care Center looks forward to meeting you!